The people who made up the class were amazing; a somewhat unpredictable mix with whom I most likely would not have otherwise associated. Upon my arrival, there were people I didn't know, people I didn't like, people I didn't respect; upon my departure, there are only unique individuals who I respect and with whom I have shared a valuable and profound journey. Some of us are total opposites, the sorts of people who had previously clashed. In SOR, however ... everything worked. We grew, we matured, we learned, we had fun, and ultimately, we interacted with each other in a way we could not have predicted while discovering much we had not realised about spiritual and theological matters.
The subject, however, was totally made by Mister Johnson, the incredible Johnno. It's his unique personality, opinions, strategies, and worldview that made SOR worthwhile. SOR at any other school would be a weak and shallow experience; the whole beauty of the subject can be found in who Johnno is and how he taught the subject. Like he says himself, he is an alien in the world and sees matters in a way that no-one else does. There is no person even remotely like him. He was SOR. Words cannot adequately describe what it meant to be a pupil in his classroom.
I cannot wait to leave high school and I want to place it all behind me ... apart from one thing. SOR. I feel, however, that U2 will suffice. It's scary how often Johnno makes statements that instantly cause me to think of U2 lyrics or Bono quotes. The less you know, the more you believe ...
I cannot believe the journey, the dream is over.
As I type this entry, the US election remains undecided, but looks as if it will swing in favour of George Bush. Bush has 254 electoral college votes and Kerry has 252, with Ohio the major cliffhanger. I am desperately hoping Ohio swings in favour of Kerry. However, I am not confident. I sincerely hope anyone from Ohio reading this entry made a vote for Kerry! If Bush should win ...
This is a story about a religious man who became a very dangerous man when he misunderstood the hands of love.
You know he got the cure, you know he went astray
He used to stay awake to drive the dreams he had away
He wanted to believe in the hands of love
The hands of love
His head, it felt heavy as he cut across the land
A dog started crying like a broken-hearted man
In the howling wind, in the ha-howling wind
He went deeper into black, deeper into white
He could see the stars shine like nails in the night
He felt the healing, healing, healing hands of love
Like the stars shining from above
His hand in his pocket, his finger on the steel
The pistol weighed heavy, his heart he could feel
Was beating, beating, beating, beating
Oh my love, oh my love, oh my love, oh my love
He saw the hands that build
Can also pull down
Even the hands of love ...
Even the hands of love!
Attn: President George W. Bush
It has come to my attention that you could potentially win a second term as President of the most powerful nation in the world. The decisions made by you and your government profoundly impact billions beyond your borders. And you, sir, have a lot to learn. As I am sure you are aware, the vast majority of people outside the USA do not support you and many were hoping - even praying - that Kerry would be victor.
However, in the case of your victory, here's some pointers that might help raise your international standing.
1. No more wars. Unlike you, we do not like combat, not even when it's to secure resources. How's your oil?
1.1. No more unjustified wars based upon lies and false premises. They're really unpopular.
1.2. No more wars without sufficient planning for the time to come after the cessation of major hostilies. Believe it or not, people will not come grovelling at your feet. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate being invaded regardless of the circumstances.
2. Don't base foreign policy on instinct. That's inexplicably DUMB.
3. No more lying to the people of your country or the people of the world. No more lies connecting Saddam to al-Qaeda when no such connection EVER existed. No more lies about the motivation of terrorists. Tell the truth or shut up.
4. Learn knowledge you should have known long before you even ran as a Presidential candidate. If you are the President of the most powerful country in the world, you should be aware of the NAME of the President of the most populated country in the world. Do you even know what country that is? INDIA. Also, when your advisors tell you that Sweden has an army, you might want to listen to them. Really, a lack of such basic general knowledge is thoroughly inexcusable for the leader of the USA. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.
5. Learn the English language. No more made up words, no more errors, no more stupid phrases, no more gross mispronunciations.
6. Learn to state your position on issues and reply to questions without scripted responses. Think for yourself! I would like to believe you have a brain, despite all evidence to the contrary.
7. No more unilateral action. In case you haven't noticed, the USA is not the centre of the world and there is a MASSIVE global community in which you must live and co-operate. Other countries do matter and they are important. Don't write off their interests just because they do not conform to yours.
Thank you for your time. If you are not willing to accept this advice, please grant your position to someone who will.
The future co-dictator of the world, André Axver
On a totally unrelated note, tomorrow is Presentation Night at school and I'm one of the prizewinners. We have practice for the ceremony in the morning, and then the actual thing - as the name so adequately points out - is at night. Should be interesting to see who wins what.