1. There's something I want to rant about regarding how useless the government is and the run-around they're giving us, but alas, I can't. Mum's told me not to talk about it, so I'll respect her wishes, even on here, somewhere she's never likely to end up.
2. I'm going to make sure to start my Study Of Religion assignment today or tomorrow. Sure, it's not due until November 11, but it's best to get it started now. It's a big assignment, and I'm most likely going to do absolutely terribly because it involves a piece of art. The last thing I am is an artist. It's quite funny reading through my old school reports. When I was really little, like 5-7, it was all "Andre is a very talented artist", but by about 10 or 11, it was "Andre tries his best at art", which really meant "Andre sucks at art no matter how much he tries, but I want to say something nice". I don't understand how this happened. Did nobody foster this artistic talent I supposedly had? If so, that says a LOT about the New Zealand primary education system. Because obviously I DID have some talent - when I go and look at stuff I drew when I was 7 it is remarkably good for a 7 year old - but now ... I haven't progressed much at all. I have pictures from when I was 8 that are of nearly the same quality as anything I could draw now. I fear any assignment that involves art, because what I produce looks very 8-year-old-ish. Why can't we have writing assignments for our creative tasks? I'm GOOD at those, but no, it's all about the art. Always art.
3. I still can't believe the sudden inspection this morning. The place was clean enough - I cleared some stuff off my floor (and my room is now feeling a bit more spacious for it) and I tidied up some piles of stuff like magazines downstairs - but I had no idea where to put away most stuff (seeing it wasn't mine and if I had been told where it belongs I obviously wasn't paying a terrible lot of attention) so I just tried to make everything look neat and orderly. So these people rock up who actually seem quite nice, come in, looked around downstairs, didn't seem disappointed, and then they went upstairs, and weren't disappointed there either, but I know they had to see the gaping gash left in the stairwell from when we moved. Basically, what happened then was that Mum's bed wouldn't fit up the stairway because whoever built this place didn't take into account the fact some people have queen size beds, so we ended up forcing it up, and this left a nasty gash. Now it appears this is really coming back to haunt us - when we leave in November, there'll be more damage from taking the bed down, so we've left it unrepaired for now (why fix something only to damage it again?), and the former manager of where I live was SUPPOSED to cover the charge. He agreed to that deal. But now he's distancing himself from any responsibility whatsoever and is passing the buck onto us. He said he would pay it! It was part of the deal. We were to incur no charges in that move back in March. He was supposed to get a removalist - he and a friend did it instead and pocketed the money - and he was going to cover the charge for the stairwell but now he's going back on the deal. He can't do this. He simply can't. Now we can't really afford to pay for getting the stairwell fixed - especially not after the Internet fiasco - but that's completely irrelevant: even if we could pay it, we're not supposed to: he was. He damn well better pay it.
4. Yes, I like making entries in this form, with the numbering and such. For some reason, it works well for me.
5. I decided to compile a playlist of songs that I find truly beautiful (not necessarily my favourite songs, but ones I find beautiful). Currently it only includes U2 songs, but I WILL expand it to include other bands. And it reads (in bold are ones that I want to give special emphasis because they're just beyond amazing in my view): Drowning Man, A Sort Of Homecoming, MLK, The Three Sunrises, Mothers Of The Disappeared, One Tree Hill, Running To Stand Still
, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Rattle And Hum CD), Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
, Walk On, Miss Sarajevo, Your Blue Room, October
, Scarlet. Hmmm ... Boy, Under A Blood Red Sky, Achtung Baby, and Pop got completely rejected. I was going to add Love Is Blindness from Achtung Baby and If God Will Send His Angels and Please from Pop ... but I decided against it. They are marvellous songs (indeed, better than some of what made it), but when categorising beautiful songs, they missed the cut.
6. I would dearly love a laptop. Then I could do some work on my story on the long trip to Melbourne and on the way back. But alas, I do not have a laptop and I can't exactly cart around my computer, so I'll have to take a pen and pad and write by hand for a change. Can't be all bad. And I may come up with some new ideas. I've finally gotten out of my writing rut (for the last few months I've done barely any writing) and now I just want to write, so this is good. Just I never was good with coming up with initial ideas. Once I have something I'll run with it, but getting that something is a different matter.
7. Speaking of writing, ( Collapse )